Houston Asbestos Removal/Asbestos Ceiling Removal
Initially, asbestos was used in ceiling construction due to its high fire resistance. And since it was economical and long-lasting, it was used for many years in the construction of homes and commercial buildings. After several years down the line, there were reports that asbestos was the cause of some respiratory diseases. Research conducted revealed that inhaling asbestos dust caused these lung diseases. For this reason, most homeowners want to have these ceilings removed.
Identifying Asbestos in Popcorn Ceilings
If your home was built before the 80s, it is very likely that it has a textured spray-on ceiling. Sadly, a textured ceiling that has asbestos looks white or creamy, with a cottage cheese texture, which is exactly the same as any other acoustic ceiling. Thus, you cannot tell whether your ceiling has asbestos just by looking at it.
The only sure and safe way to test for asbestos is by hiring professionals to do the job for you. They will collect a sample of your ceiling and take it to the lab for testing. These experts obtain the samples carefully to ensure no asbestos dust (if present) is released to the room.
Is Asbestos Present in All Stucco Ceilings?
Although not all popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, you cannot easily differentiate a ceiling with asbestos from one without.
There is only one sure way to know. Hire a trained expert such as Houston Popcorn Ceiling Pros to test the ceiling for you. Call us on (281) 925-7589 for a free estimate.
Asbestos Ceiling Removal
Should the results indicate that your ceiling contains asbestos, then what next? As long as you do not disturb your asbestos ceilings, it is not a must for you to remove that ceiling. You can choose to paint the stucco ceiling which will provide additional protection and prevents the ceiling from flaking.
However, this method has a downside. You may need to keep repainting the ceiling from time to time. Also, in case you decide to remove the ceiling later, a painted ceiling will make the popcorn removal almost impossible.
Or, you can scrape off the ceiling yourself. However, the method is not safe and we highly recommend that you hire an expert from a certified asbestos removal company in Sugar Land, Pearland or one in your city do the job for you.
Here are the basic steps for a DIY asbestos ceiling removal.
- Put on protective clothing. These include a hooded, long-sleeved boiler suit, protective eyeglasses, quality face mask, disposable rubber boots, and disposable rubber gloves.
- Gather everything you will need for the process. These are a spray bottle filled with water mixed with detergent, a knife, and bags to the disposable asbestos ceiling.
- Prepare your room by removing all furniture, switch off all air conditioning and heating systems.
- Cover all floors, walls, opening, and doorways using protective plastic sheeting
- Spray your popcorn ceiling with a water-detergent mixture and let it soak for around 20 minutes
- Scrape off the damp ceiling with a knife and dispose of in tightly sealed bags
- Wipe away any residue left with a wet rag and dispose of together with the asbestos ceiling
- Carefully remove and dispose of all the plastic sheeting.
- Thoroughly clean and vacuum the room
Although this seems easy, you risk exposing yourself to potentially dangerous respiratory diseases. Let us take these risks for you. Reach us on (281) 925-7589 for a quick free quote.